Re: Flawed outbound packet filtering in various personal firewalls

From: Robert Graham (list-bugtraqat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 15:08:57 PST

    >Issue: Outbound filtering in personal firewalls does not block
    >packets that are generated by protocol stacks other than the
    >default Microsoft stack.

    No. The issue is that users who run Trojans/viruses using
    root/administrator privileges can bypass all defenses on that
    machine. That is why root/administrator privileges exist in the
    first place. Any process that can inject kernel code can
    bypass anything (assuming it just doesn't kill the monitor
    in the first place) -- witness the recent IOS discussions.

    Goner.scr is one example of a trojan/virus that attempts to
    deactivate the personal firewall. Other recently published
    techniques do DLL insertion into trusted processes. One could
    take the rootkit style approach for sending raw packets.
    Heck, I've got a 3Com driver that replaces the hardware
    driver supplied by the vendor -- nothing will stop those
    packets from going out.

    We in the personal firewall industry are providing EXTRA protection,
    not TOTAL protection. It is an arms race, and as long as users
    are logging in as administrator/root, it is a race that
    vendors cannot win. Of course, I'm not suggesting such products
    are useless (I'm a vendor after all), they have proven their value
    to our customers in CodeRed, Nimbda, and other recent incidents.
    It's just that if you are looking for some absolute barrier that
    cannot be bypassed, you have to look to your OS vendor for that.

    Microsoft has spent years trying to make non-administrator the
    default login. It is tough -- in the home market, users are
    accustomed to installing OS upgrades, such as games that include
    a DirectX driver upgrade. Notice that WinXP has some features
    that helps move customers to an environment where their default
    login is non-admin. They are also working tightly with personal
    firewall vendors to augment their authentication privilege
    infrastructure, because, of course, we cannot hope to replace it.

    The reason I'm writing this e-mail is to set expectations.
    I've had to write several similar e-mails recently in response
    to the other attacks against personal firewalls. More attacks will
    appear in the future, too. As a vendor, I cannot remove risk, all
    I can promise you is that I will significantly reduce risk. And,
    more important, our products have proven their value repeatedly
    in the field. Sorry to repeat that last point, in several recent
    incidents, customers reported that our products were more valuable
    than their primary firewalls, anti-virus, or intrusion detection
    systems -- please do not interpret my attempt to set reasonable
    expectations as a claim that our products do not work.

    Regards,
    Robert Graham
    Lead Architect, Internet Security Systems