Silly 'script' hardlink bug

From: Marco van Berkum (m.v.berkumat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 15:02:36 PST

    Hi,
    I found this, small bug, you might like it :)
    tested on a slackware linux.

    /*
    Title: Silly hardlink vulnerability in 'script' command
    Software Author: yet unknown
    Bug found by: Marco van Berkum (m.v.berkumat_private)
    Date: 12-12-2001

    Script command
    --------------
    The script command which is part of the util-linux
    package contains a silly hardlink vulnerability which
    could overwrite any file on the harddisk. Script is a
    tool to save terminal sessions for later reference.
    By default script creates a file called typescript
    for its log.

    The problem
    -----------
    Very simple, script (when executed as root) overwrites
    hardlinks that could be set by any user to any file on
    the harddisk. For instance, a malicious user can place
    a hardlink 'typescript' to /etc/passwd (or any other file)
    in his home directory. If the root user would execute
    script in that directory it would cause script to
    overwrite that file. Script does check for symlinks and
    asks if the symlink should be overwritten, it lacks
    checking hardlinks.

    Priority
    --------
    Low, its not likely that root users execute script
    in a user's home directory. They could though, its
    a minor problem that must be fixed for that reason.

    Author
    ------
    Still looking for the correct person

    */