EFTP 2.0.8.346 directory content disclosure

From: Ertan Kurt (ertankat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 02:59:43 PST

    There exists a vulnerability in EFTP 2.0.8.346
    Vendor notified: 12/12/2001
    Vendor reply/fix: 12/12/2001
    Vendor Homepage: http://www.eftp.org/
    Platforms tested:
    windows nt 4 /sp6
    windows 2000 /sp2
    windows XP

    ----------=[ Program info ]=----------
    >From vendor homepage:
    "Encrypted File Transfer Protocol™ release 2 is the fast, easy way to
    send and receive files to and from your PC. With data transfer rates
    literally unaffected by real time encryption mode, the perfect
    solution for total security. Compatible with most other Server or
    Client based applications in standard 'non encrypted' mode."

    ----------=[ Vulnerability information ]=----------
    It is possible to see the contents of every drive and directory of
    vulnerable server.
    A valid user account is required to exploit this vulnerability.
    It works both with encryption and w/o encryption.
    Here's how it's done:
    the user is logged in to his home directory (let's say d:\userdir)
    when the user issues a CWD to another directory server returns
    permission denied.
    But, first changing directory to "..." (it will chdir to d:\userdir\...)
    then issuing a CWD to "\" will say permission denied but it will
    successfully change to root directory of the current drive.
    And everytime we want to see a dir's content, we first CWD to our
    home directory and then CWD ...  and then CWD directly to desired
    directory (CWD c:/ or c:/winnt etc)

    So it is possible to see directory contents but i did not test to see
    if there is a possible way to get/put files.

    Vendor released a fixed version (2.0.8.348) which can be obtained from
    vendor's homepage:
    http://www.eftp.org/

    Best Regards & Happy Xmas

    Ertan Kurt