Re: SpiDynamics WebInspect - Keeping Track of its Users?

From: Caleb Sima (csimaat_private)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 21:20:40 PST

    I can understand DB's concern and I apologize to DB that the support and
    sales people that he spoke to did not elevate this up to the proper
    individuals to answer his questions properly.
    (No developers actually spoke to DB)

    We make no effort to hide that this remote authentication is done.

    After registering for a download from our website an email is sent to the
    user
    describing how to use webinspect. Pasted below is an excerpt from that
    message.

    >SUPPORT & SERVICE
    >
    >As a WebInspect pilot user, your current trial license allows you to scan
    >up to 5 devices and is valid for 2 weeks.  If you have any questions or
    >comments on installing or running the software please contact our support
    >desk at supportat_private or call 1-866-SPI-2700 (M-F, 9 - 5
    Eastern).

    >Note: An active Internet connection is needed to authenticate. If you are
    >located behind a proxy, set your IE settings to point to your proxy.

    Below is an excerpt from our logfile on exactly what we log from the user.

    >GET /spiAuth/spiAuth.spi
    >Action=Auth&Key=NkYCBMFFEXLrTXeHUHH8&LastDate=2/4/2001+1:22:14+AM&IP=2.2.2.
    2 200 >Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+5.01;+Windows+NT+5.0) -

    Broken up this is:
    Action=: This says whether the user is updating the product or just
    authorizing use
    Key=: This is the users key id that was given to them to use the product.
    LastDate=: This is the date and time that the authorization took place
    IP=: This is the ip address of what the user is attempting to scan

    This remote authentication is used only on demo keys and is used to keep
    users from abusing the product and scanning sites that they are not
    authorized to scan. If spidynamics notices a user scanning a site that
    is illegal this allows us to cut off access to the product immediatly.
    If anyone would actually want to take the time to look at the authentication
    themselves to verify this,
    just add a hosts entry to download.spidynamics.com and point the ip address
    to an SSL webserver.

    Caleb Sima
    CTO
    SPIDynamics Inc.