Re: IIS 5.0 Content Length DOS vulnerability

From: Eric Maiwald (emaiwaldat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 10:59:01 PST

    We have been testing the script posted by Mr. Hernandez on an IIS 5.0
    system runnion over Win2k SP1. We can get the connections to exist
    but after a time, they time out and close. There does not appear to
    be any deterioration in the system performance.

    Anyone have any more information on this that may indicate how the
    DOS actually occurs?  Is it a certain number of open connections in
    a short period of time?

    Also, does anyone have any information as to whether the content-length
    parameter gets mangled under normal conditions or is this DOS only
    likely in a real attack.

    Eric

    Eric Maiwald, CISSP                                 emaiwaldat_private
    Chief Technology Officer                                 301-977-6966
    Fortrex Technologies, Inc.                           Gaithersburg, MD