Re: IE https certificate attack

From: Stephen Cope (mail-e-23aa7ea58416034f88at_private)
Date: Tue Dec 25 2001 - 13:13:19 PST

    Przemyslaw Frasunek wrote:
    : Looks like Konqueror 2.2.1 (Mandrake Linux 8.1 + OpenSSL 0.9.6b) is also
    : vulnerable. I've got no warning when entering on this page. I've tested it

    Using Konqueror 2.2.1.0-6 (no kdebase-crypto and kdelibs3-crypt) on Debian
    woody I was warned:
        The IP address of the host suspekt.org does not match the one the
        certificate was issued to.

    After clicking "Continue" I was asked:
        Would you like to accept this certificate forever without being
        prompted?

    "Current Session Only" was the default button for the dialog.

    Mozilla 0.9.6 complained that the host and certificate didn't match:
        You have attempted to establish a connection with "suspekt.org".
        However, the security certificate presented belongs to
        "ssl.e-matters.de".  It is possible, though unlikely, that someone
        may be trying to intercept your communication with this web site.

    Galeon 1.0 (which embeds Gecko) had the same response, and then stopped
    solid as a rock.

    Skipstone 0.7.6 (which embeds Gecko) stopped solid like a rock.

    w3m 0.2.1-inu-1.5 did not complain.

    --
    Stephen Cope - http://sdc.org.nz/