Re: [AP] awhttpd v2.2 local DoS

From: D. (dugelyat_private)
Date: Sun Jan 06 2002 - 21:11:45 PST

    ANTI-WEB HTTPD OFFICIAL SECURITY ADVISORY

    This is Doug Hoyte, head programmer of the Anti-Web
    HTTPD project.

    A recent advisory put out by methodic from AngryPacket
    <methodicat_private> has
    officially confirmed to be
    valid, however DO NOT INSTALL THE PATCH ACCOMPANYING
    THAT ADVISORY!

    It opens up a format string vulnerability in the code,
    and there
    may be some stability issues involved also.

    In discussion about this vulnerability with 3APA3A
    <3APA3Aat_private>
    and methodic, a few other problems were unearthed.

    DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEMS
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    -A local DoS attack that can be carried out if the
    attacker has write access
     to an Anti-Web HTML tree. This is most common when
    each user has personal
     webspace on a server. See methodic's advisory for
    more details.

    -Another local DoS attack I discovered while
    investigating methodic's
     attack: Removing the F: from an AW script altogether
    can cause AW to
     escalate CPU usage. Again, the attacker needs write
    access in an AW HTML tree.

    -A potential heap overflow in the loading of the
    script code, which could
     result in a shell with UID/GID 32767 (by default).
    Again, the attacker would
     have to have write access in an AW HTML tree.

    -A syslog() format string vulnerability. Fortunatley,
    this is not exploitable
     in any official versions of Anti-Web, but might've
    posed problems in the
     event of future code additions.

    FIXES
    ~~~~~

    Download the new, patched version here:

    http://hardcoresoftware.cjb.net/awhttpd/awhttpd-2.2.1.tgz

    CHANGELOG is here:

    http://hardcoresoftware.cjb.net/awhttpd/changes.txt

    Alternatively, as mentioned by methodic, you could
    simply uncomment
    the "#define NOSCRIPT" line in config.h. Note: In the
    new version, you
    would want to comment out "#define SCRIPTING".

    Scripting is disabled by default in newer versions
    now.

    I should also add that this new version HASN'T been
    confirmed stable.
    It's holding up alright for me, but there are dangling
    functions, and
    the new SunOS port is still in beta.

    WHO SHOULD GET THE NEW VERSION
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    If you're a sysadmin who is giving users personal
    webspace in an Anti-Web
    HTML tree, INSTALL THIS VERSION NOW!

    If you're running a small, personal webserver with you
    as the only user,
    this version won't add much in terms of security, so
    you may as well wait
    for 2.3 to come out, or uncomment NOSCRIPT.

    If you've extended the code yourself, and taken
    advantage of the logthis()
    function, your new code may be vulnerable, UPDATE NOW!

    COMMENT
    ~~~~~~~

    Having recently experienced a "GOBBLES" advisory, I
    was a bit skeptical
    about this advisory at first, but methodic did an
    excellent research job
    here. He also acted very courteosly in notifying me,
    the head programmer.

    3APA3A was also very helpful, unearthing other
    problems with the code.

    I'd also like to point out how well this issue
    illustrates the difficulty
    in writing completely bug free code. Even a patch
    designed to close up
    a security hole can end up opening another one. The
    job of a programmer
    is certainly no cakewalk.

    CREDITS
    ~~~~~~~

    methodic and 3APA3A for uncovering these
    vulnerabilities.

    Doug Hoyte
    HardCore SoftWare