Re: UPNP Denial of Service

From: Patrick Chambet (patrick.chambetat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 09:43:59 PST

    The UPnP DoS code does what it is supposed to do, but that doesn't seem
    to bother Windows XP: the CPU utilization reaches 80% at the very
    maximum and returns to a stable state as soon as the attack stops.
    The same level of CPU utilization is reached with other kinds of
    attacks, like fragmented UDP packets or other services flooding for
    example.

    Extra data:
    - Server: Windows XP Pro US
    - Client: Linux RH 7.1
    - Network: 10 Mb LAN

    Maybe Windows ME leads to other results.

    Patrick Chambet - MCP
    IT Security Consulting
    EdelWeb - ON-X Consulting Group
    http://www.edelweb.fr - http://www.on-x.com

    > We develop a code baseline to test the UPNP DOS. The dos consists in
    > sending a udp packet to port 1900 with a NOTIFY request. This request
    > has a URL that XP uses to open a tcp connection. The XP does not
    > sanitize this request so whatever URL and port could be specified.
    Once