Vulnerability Netgear RP-114 Router - nmap causes DOS

From: Omkhar Arasaratnam (omkharat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 00:49:28 PST

    BugTraq,

    This has been submitted to CERT as well. Here is the form I sent to them:

    CONTACT INFORMATION
    ===
    Let us know who you are:

     Name			: Omkhar Arasaratnam
     E-mail			: omkharat_private
     Phone / fax		: 416.991.1301/416.383.3316
     Affiliation and address: IBM Canada Ltd.

    Have you reported this to the vendor?  yes

            If so, please let us know whom you've contacted:

    	Date of your report	: 12/26/2001
    	Vendor contact name	: Paul Marino
    	Vendor contact phone	: 408-907-8085
    	Vendor contact e-mail	: paul.marinoat_private
    	Vendor reference number	: 20485470

            If not, we encourage you to do so--vendors need to hear about
    	vulnerabilities from you as a customer.

    POLICY INFO
    ===
    We encourage communication between vendors and their customers.  When
    we forward a report to the vendor, we include the reporter's name and
    contact information unless you let us know otherwise.

    If you want this report to remain anonymous, please check here:

    	___ Do not release my identity to your vendor contact.

    TECHNICAL INFO
    ===
    If there is a CERT Vulnerability tracking number please put it
    here (otherwise leave blank): VU#______.

    Please describe the vulnerability.
    ---------------------------------
    This vulnerability is in regards to the Netgear RP114 router/NAT. This is a
    simple solution that allows home users to share their cable modem / DSL
    connection. One of the features of this NAT is port filtering. If the router
    is told to drop all packets < 1024, and the WAN port is port scanned, the
    router will lock. This has been demonstrated on several occasions to Netgear
    engineering using nmap.

    What is the impact of this vulnerability?
    For the duration of the scan, no inbound/outbound traffic through the WAN
    port.

    To your knowledge is the vulnerability currently being exploited?
    	no

    If there is an exploitation script available, please include it here.
    n/a

    Do you know what systems and/or configurations are vulnerable?
    Any customer who has this router attached to a cable modem / DSL modem in a
    similar configuration.

    	System		: RP-114
    	OS version	: 3.26 (firmware)
    	Verified/Guessed: Verified, may also happen without port filtering
    configured.

    Are you aware of any workarounds and/or fixes for this vulnerability?
    no

    OTHER INFORMATION
    Is there anything else you would like to tell us?

    Netgear support has not been very co-operative thus far.