Update on the SuperCookie issue

From: Richard M. Smith (rmsat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 11:08:25 PST

    Here's an update on the SuperCookie issue that I reported earlier today:

      1.  My mistake for now catching this one earlier.  As some people
    pointed
          out, turning off the "Allow Internet Sites to uniquely identify
          your player" in WMP gets rid of the SuperCookie problem.  With
    this option
          turned off, the WMP ActiveX control will return different player
          ID numbers for each IE session.  This work-around appears to be
    available
          in the versions of WMP that ship with IE6 and Windows XP.  Note
    that
          SuperCookies are turned on by default in IE/WMP.

          However, asking the average user to solve an Internet Explorer
    privacy
          leak by manually changing settings in a different program seems
          a bit much to me.  Especially considering that there are many
    people
          who have never run Windows Media Player, yet they are still
    vulnerable
          to the problem.

       2. SuperCookies are also available in Netscape Navigator using the
          WMP plugin.

       3. The actual WMP player ID number is stored in the Windows registry
          in these keys:

          HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Media\WMSDK\General
          string value "UniqueID"

          or

          HKEY_USERS\<user>\Software\Microsoft\Windows Media\WMSDK\General
          string value "UniqueID"

          If one of these keys is manually changed using REGEDIT, the demo
    page will
          show the new ID number.

    Richard M. Smith
    http://www.computerbytesman.com