Re: cdrdao insecure filehandling

From: Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha (strangeat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 17:22:28 PST

    On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 02:49:13PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
    > but then you have to be root to burn CDs. there is a reason why cdrdao
    > is setuid - it needs access to root-owned device files like /dev/scd0
    > and /dev/sg0 (on Linux that is).

    On RedHat's distribution, and I believe many others based on PAM, the owner
    of those files (or any other so configured) is changed to the user on the
    console when he loggs in.

    The PAM module responsable for the change of permissions is pam_console.so,
    and the file describing the permissions is /etc/security/console.perms.
    Just see man pam_console for more details.

    Regards,
    Luciano Rocha

    PS: obviously, I don't know whether Debian uses PAM or not...

    --
    Luciano Rocha, strangeat_private

    The trouble with computers is that they do what you tell them, not what
    you want.
                    -- D. Cohen