Vulnerabilty in PaintBBS v1.2

From: John Bissell (sbccmonkat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 20:45:01 PST

      PaintBBS Server v1.2 Advisory

      Author: John Bissell A.K.A. HighT1mes
      Vulnerable: PaintBBS Server Ver.1.2 Build 010514
      Impact: PaintBBS Server 0wn3d
      Release Date: January, 22, 2002
      Contact:  blumorphoat_private
      Vendor Homepage:
    http://www.ax.sakura.ne.jp/~aotama/

    ---------------------

     Introduction:

    	PaintBBS Server v.1.2 is a cool WWW app
    that allows people to draw pictures as well
     leave messages like a normal BBS. A few days ago I
    learned about this app and decided to
     test some of it's security for fun. Since the
    documentation is in Japanese it took a little
     time to figure out what files did what. The main file to
    be aware of is oekakibbs.conf.
     Anyone can read this file by default and it contains
    the encrypted password to the PaintBBS
     Server. The other problem is that the permissions of
    the /oekaki/ folder is 777 allowing
     all hell to break loose by anyone. So if I don't know
    what the .conf file is named I can
     go to that folder from a web browser and see.

    	I haven't tested any other version of this
    software yet. PaintBBS Server is
     actually up to v2.40. So if anyone wants to continue
    the investigation have fun! :p

     Problem Description:

    	This is one of those default configuration
    problems. A malicious person
     can read the oekaki config file from the web then find
    the encrypted password then
     crack it. Thus giving them admin access to the
    server.

    	As an example if I wanted to remotely take
    over
     http://www.victim.com/oetaki/oetaki.cgi I would first
    go to the config file located in the
     /oetaki/ dir by default at
    http://www.victim.com/oetaki/oekakibbs.conf. If that
    didn't work
     then I could set my web browser to  the /oetaki/
    folder then see what the .conf files are
     named and access them. Once I could view the
    config file I would see something like this...

     password=m8kl78sKTixvs
     etc

     	Now that I have the encrypted password I
    would take a standerd DES password
     cracking program (I prefer John the Ripper) since
    PaintBBS uses the crypt() function
     and get the goods. If you use John the Ripper put the
    encrypted password into a
     unix type /etc/passwd.txt file format and run John.

    	Now that I have the cracked password then
    I would go over to one of the
     following admin url's to have some fun..

    	http://www.victim.com/oekaki/oekaki.cgi?
    mode=administration
    	http://www.victim.com/oekaki/oekaki.cgi?
    mode=deleteUserCommentView

     Solution:

    	To solve this security problem first you
    should change the /oekaki/ folder from
     777 to something more secure like 333 using the
    chmod command. Next you will want to rename
     the oekakibbs.conf file so no one can get easy
    access to that file. If you have the right
     web server you should also change the permissions
    of the file so not everyone can read it.
     Have a good day!

     Thank you to Chris_Judah and Hiroshi :)