Re: Agoracgi v3.3e Cross Site Scripting Vulnerability

From: Steve Kneizys (skneizysat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 09:47:30 PST

    The cart_id is a highly filtered variable, and has been from the start of this shopping
    cart.  Some folks were concerned about the Cross Site Scripting Vulnerability (CSS) that
    have been talked about so often over the last year or so and how it related to agora.cgi.
     That, combined with the desire to track errors in coding of web pages in web site
    development, led us to add diagnostics in version 4.0x to display artificial changes in
    the cart_id that showed when the site was in debug mode.

    The vulnerability did not exist, as far as we can tell, at any time in a live store running in
    non-debug, or normal, mode.  In debug mode, the offending javascript is displayed to
    the browser exactly as given to the site but has been escaped to the log file for security
    reasons.  We are probably going to escape out the javascript display even in debug
    mode on 4.0e.  We want to balance the needs of debug mode, where we show inner
    workings to a developer, with the needs to be as secure as possible.

    The current release version, 4.0d, needs to have debug mode on in the manager and
    an internal cart_id tracking variable turned on explicitly to see the javascript issue.  The
    web site store version 4.0c displayed the javascript, as it was in debug mode and had
    that cart_id variable turned on.  The original post said it was version 3.3e, but the actual
    cart used must have been 4.0x as 'stock' version 3.3e did not have the diagnostic code
    installed.

    The best thing to do is have debug mode turned off on a live store, for this or any issue
    in fact.  Debug mode is there to assist developers by showing errors on the browser
    (instead of having to hunt for them in the log file) but by its nature can give up some
    level of security, as well as make a site look and feel less attractive.