RE: Long path exploit on NTFS

From: Moorhouse, Walt P (WaltPMoorhouseat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 05:37:51 PST

    We have Trend OfficeScan.  Trend finds it before the bat file can close the
    SUBST drive (SUBST Q: /D).  It did however cause my realtime scanner's
    interface to throw an exception.  It's still scanning, I just don't have the
    cute little heartbeat line in the taskbar.
    My question it this:  Assuming it had gotten past my scanner, it could not
    be executed when the SUBST drive is removed could it?  Because it couldn't
    be referenced to execute?  Wouldn't someone have to re SUBST the drive and
    go it that way?  And if they have the ability to do that, why don't they
    just run it while it is there?  Unless I'm missing something, I don't see
    anything particularly dangerous about this, other than someone could eat up
    all your HD space with dark matter files (look, I coined a term!).  Maybe I
    missed something though, it's been a long day! Still, I agree it needs to be
    addressed, but I would suggest the change should be made at the OS level,
    rather than the app level.  Nice job finding this, Hans.

    Walt Moorhouse
    Network Administrator