msdtc on 3372

From: palanteat_private
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 19:14:48 PST

    I've been examining the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator
    (MSDTC) service that runs on tcp port 3372, in these cases on win2k SP2.
    Nothing happens with casual garbage data (e.g. 0x51) manually sent, but
    I've also been sending 1024 bytes of random data (from /dev/urandom)
    through nc to the port.  On some systems msdtc dies immediately. On
    those systems where it fails to crash, additional connections or larger
    data sizes (there appears to be a size limit anyway) do not cause a crash.

    Unfortunately my sample size is rather small; the trouble with experimenting
    on real subjects is finding replacements. Has anyone else experienced this
    behavior?

    Palante