Possible privilege escalation with NDS for NT

From: nobody (pentesterat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 10:21:32 PST

    The following security exposure may or may not exist
    for any shop running NDS for NT. We contacted Novell
    last August with this exposure.  They failed to
    respond. We later contacted Simple Nomad and he did a
    good job bringing the vulnerability to Novell's
    attention.

    Novell indicates that this is really a "admin snafu"
    on our part.  Since the Novell manuals do not warn you
    against doing this I thought it best to submit this to
    BUGTRAQ so that other NDS/NT shops can avoid making
    the same error ( if indeed it is an error !).

    Platform : Novell NetWare 5.x (NDS tree)  - NT domain
    machines are NT 4.0 SP6a  Application : NDS for NT.
    The NT SAM is effectively replaced by routing all NT
    Domain calls to NDS via TCP port 427 (and maybe other
    udp ports)

    The Novell 32bit client on the desktop is 4.80 and it
    replaces the NT GINA.

    Given a valid Novell NDS account of any security level
    it may be possible to gain access to any NT domain
    machine (except the PDC/BDC) as "Domain Admin" by
    using another NDS account (that must be configured as
    below) and supplying no password.

    The NDS_ADM account that will be exploited:
    Any NDS account in the NDS tree that has been checked
    as having "domain admin" rights over the NT domain can
    be used - without supplying a password. This account
    must not - repeat-  not exist in the NT domain.  If
    the account does exist in the NT domain this will not
    work. We verified that our particular account had a 14
    character (complex password) in the NDS tree - yet the
    exploit allows a "null" password to be used.

    Requirements and verification of the exploit:

    You will use 2 seperate acounts:  a low level user
    account and a supposedly misconfigured "admin" account
    (shown as NDS_ADM) - configured as above.

    1. Use an NT machine that is a member of the NT domain
    that the NDS tree manages
    2. Verify that your NDS_ADM account - has "domain
    admin rights" over the NT domain.  This is the key
    portion of the vulnerability.
    3. Verify that your NDS_ADM account does not exist in
    the NT domain (i.e.: you cannot display it with any NT
    tool (net user, user manager etc..)) - the account can
    only be seen wtih NetWare tools
    4. Ensure that you are have logged into the NDS domain
    as an ordinary user with your low level account
    5. Verify that you do not have current access (as
    domain admin) to the target NT domain machine you are
    about to authenticate to as 'domain admin"  One test
    is to try to access the default shares like  C$, D$
    etc..

    If the above is verified then you can try to exploit
    the vulnerability by doing:

    from a DOS prompt:  (text may be wrapped)

    c:>net use \\target-IP\ipc$ /user:NDS_ADM *
    Type the password for \\target-IP\ipc$:
    The command completed successfully.

    (the * prompts you for a password)
    (simply hit enter when you get the: Type the..message)
    (Do not qualify the NDS_ADM name with the name of the
    NT DOMAIN.)
    (The target-IP is any NT machine joined to the domain
    - but cannot be the PDC/BDC)

    If the above completes successfully - you can now
    verify that you have "domain admin" rights on the
    target-IP machine.  Try accessing a default share like
    C$

    The fix is to remove the check box for "admin rights
    on the NT Domain" from the NDS account NDS_ADM.
    Novell indicates that this is our "error" - yet I
    cannot find a reference to this behavior - anywhere.

    I wonder if other shops have this exposure. Anyway,
    the intent is to warn other NDS/NT shops that this
    can happen to them.

    YMMV