Re : Lotus Domino password bypass

From: Nicolas Gregoire (ngregoireat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 09:57:23 PST

    04/02/2002 04:00:52, "Gabriel A. Maggiotti" <gmaggiotat_private> wrote :

    > Summary
    > -------
    > A security vulnerability has been found in the popular Lotus Domino Web server.
    > Lotus Domino have files like webadmin.nsf, log.nsf and names.nfs,  this   files
    > are protected by password.  I discover that is posible to bypass this  password
    > if you create a malformed url.

    > Notes Databases '.nsf' like webadmin.nsf or log.nsf are store in "lotus/domino/
    > data/" directory nas Notes Templatesi '.ntf' are store in the same  place (Here
    > is the goal).

    My 0.2 Euros :

    - this problem is (quite) old news and is described in details in a David Litchfield paper.
    This file can be downloaded at http://www.nextgenss.com/hpdws.zip

    - you have (a little) mis-understood the problem.
    Quoted from the "Hackproofing Lotus Domino Web Server" doc :

    "Another method of tricking Domino into opening the Web Administrator template is
    through the use of buffer truncation. By making the following request
    http://server/webadmin.ntf++++++_250_pluses+++++.nsf/
    access to webadmin.ntf is granted. This works because Domino attempts to protect itself
    from buffer overrun attacks and chops a user request down to a safe size. In terms of
    events here's what happens. Domino receives the request and converts all the pluses to
    spaces and sees it has a .nsf file extention and therefore loads the database parser. The
    database parser chops the end off of the request, (thus removing the .nsf)  to prevent any
    buffer overrun and then looks in the lotus\domino\data directory for the file, webadmin.ntf
    use webadmin.ntf's functionality."

    Nicob