Re: DoS bug on Tru64

From: bugtraq@t-swat.com
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 15:33:06 PST

    I've caused something similar in the past, and it was because NMAP quickly
    used up all available and allowable sockets, and the TCP tuning on the box
    (a) didn't allow all that many sockets and (b) didn't allow for rapid
    "clean-up" of finished sockets.  As a result, the TCP-based heartbeat
    signal from one system to the other couldn't go through (silly admins
    didn't employ a serial backup heartbeat), and as a result it triggered an
    "I've fallen and can't get up" signal.  Caused quite a mess.  :)