Castelle Faxpress: Password used for NT Print queue can be discl osed in Plain Text

From: Leon Ward (leon.ward@added-dimension.co.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 08:17:06 PST

    Overview

        I have reported this to Castelle and they told me it is a feature for
    troubleshooting, however they will make the change the next time they
    release the Faxpress Software. I just thought that other admins should be
    made aware so they can check their systems are secured correctly.

        Printing can be configured to use either a printer connected directly to
    the parallel port of the fax server or to a Network print queue. When
    configuring the system to use a Network print queue the following
    information needs to be entered.

    NT Host Name
    Printer Shareable Name
    IP Address
    Login Name
    Password

        If the login name is either entered incorrectly or changed by a user,
    when a document is sent to the print queue an error event will be added to
    the notices, This error divulges the following information.

    Notice: Network Print Queuing Error For Job XXXX
    Notice For: Faxpress Username
    Queue: Printer name
    Server: NTPrint Server
    Login: Login, Password
    Error At: Time
    Error.

    The Login credentials, including the password  are shown in Plain text.

        I assume that most Administrators with this Fax System out there that
    use a single username for all Faxpress printing due to the hassle of
    changing login information every time a users Password expires, I hope
    nobody has just tapped in an Admin accounts details because they were
    feeling lazy!

    Workarounds: Make sure that Users are unable to make changes to their
    mailbox settings.

    To re-create the 'feature'
    -Log into the Faxpress
    -Select any printable item eg An Outgoing fax or a failed transmission
    -Right click on the item and chose print -Click "Printer" -Click on "Queue"
    -Note the username -Change the username eg from "John" to "John1" -Click OK
    -Click OK -Click OK -Go to notices -Double click on the printing error

    The username "John1" and his password are presented.
    If anyone has problems re-creating this feel free to drop me a mail.

    Best Regards

    Nard

    This opinion expressed is my own and is not of my company.

    This E-mail and its attachments have been scanned for viruses before delivery.
    We recommend that all attachments are also checked by recipients before being viewed.
    For more information contact postmaster@added-dimension.co.uk