Trojan / Spyware Connection made to 64.240.175.18 every time you use IE ANti-spyware Anti-virus wont detect it.

From: Adonis.No.Spam (adonis1at_private)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 05:06:06 PST

                                 .---------------.
                                / NtWaK0 Advisory \
    .

    :
    Affected         : All windows system with IE with kernell32.cab installed
    :
    Type             : Connection made to 64.240.175.18 every time you use IE
    :
    Type             : Trojan / Spyware
    :
    Date             : 02-02-2002
    :
    Author           : NtWaK0 @ www.SafeHack.com
    :
    .

    +-----------------.
     Trojan / Spywere  \
    +-------------------`-------------------------------------------------------
    .

    :
    +-----------.                                  * * * www.SafeHack.com * * *
    :
     Disclaimer  \
    :
    +-------------`-------------------------------------------------------------
    .

    :
    This material is presented for informational and entertainment purposes
    :
    only, and to satisfy the curious. Any activities described in this file
    :
    which involve vandalism, theft, or any other illegal activities are
    :
    recounted from third-party conversations. I do not condone or encourage
    :
    vandalism or theft. I do not accept any liability for anything anyone
    :
    does with this information. So, don't shoot the messenger.
    :
    Remember: Use a computer in ways that ensure respect for your fellows.
    :

    :
    +-------.
    :
     T.O.C.  \
    :
    +---------`-----------------------------------------------------------------
    .

    :

    :
       [  Brief History . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .line 42 ]
    :

    :
       [  The Problem . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .line 47 ]
    :

    :
       [  The Solution . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .line 128 ]
    :

    :
    +-------------.
    :
     Brief History \
    :
    +----------------`----------------------------------------------------------
    .
    A friend mentioned the other day that he is seeing a connection is being
    :
    made to 64.240.175.18 on port 8989, every time he use Internet Explorer.
    :
    See detail below.
    :

    :
    +-----------.
    :
     The Problem \
    :
    +-------------`-------------------------------------------------------------
    .
    After I did work on the issue for some time I found a sypware kernel32 on
    :
    his machine.
    :

    :
    How did I find the spyware?
    :
    +--------------------------+
    :
    I did run a port monitor application and Lunched Internet Explore and went
    :
    to google.com, sure enough when IE connected to google I saw two connection
    :
    one to google and one to 64.240.175.18 on port 8989 when I saw that I hmmed
    :

    :
    Next I opened again IE but I did not connect to any site. (blank page).
    Sure:
    enough No connection to any site.As soon as I connect to any site I will
    see:
    a connection to 64.240.175.18 on port 8989.
    :

    :
    After mapping the port to application running on these ports, I found that
    :
    IE is using port 8989 that is normal since a connection was made
    :
    to 64.240.175.18
    :

    :
    Since i need seen that IP befor I decided to investigate more this issue.
    :

    :
    I tried to search the registry for 64.240.175.18 but I was not lucky.
    :
    I tried to search all file on the hard drive for a string 64.240.175.18 but
    :
    still no luck.
    :

    :

    :
    Next I jumped to a hardcore methode :) using regmonitor and file monitor.
    :
    After running Regmonitor and filemonitor I lunched IE and connected to
    :
    www.google.com. Now I have a big log to go over... I made another coffee
    :
    and sat down and stat looking into regmonior/filemonitor.
    :

    :
    Something got my attension kernell32.dll reference.
    :
    HKCR\CLSID\{C7ADE150-743D-11D4-8141-00E029626F6A}\InprocServer32\(Default)
    :
    "C:\WINNT\Downloaded Program Files\kernell32.dll"	                    :

    :
    I search for that file in C:\WINNT\Downloaded Program Files but did not
    :
    find it. I continued looking at the regmonitor log and found something else
    :
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
    :
    Browser Helper Objects\{C7ADE150-743D-11D4-8141-00E029626F6A}]
    :
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
    :
    Browser Helper Objects\{EBCDDA60-2A68-11D3-8A43-0060083CFB9C}]
    :

    :
    One of these key was used to lunch the trojan everytime you run IE.
    :

    :

    :
    At this point I run wget http://64.240.175.18/kernell32.cab
    :
    To my surprise the file was their So i got the file and loocked at it.
    :
    The kernell32.cab contain two files: kernell32.dll, kernell32.inf
    :

    :
    Currently [2-2-2002] the file still exist on their site if you like to
    :
    grab it here is the url http://64.240.175.18/kernell32.cab
    :

    :
    NOTE: The interresting issue is NORTON antivurs and the cleaner did not
    :
    delect any trojan in the kernell32.dll. But the file is acting like
    :
    Win32.Destiny trojan
    :

    :
    If you search google for Win32.Destiny you will find the desciption
    :
    of Win32.destiny trojan. The same behavior apply to the file
    :
    located at http://64.240.175.18/kernell32.cab
    :

    :

    :
    [Extracted From
    :
    http://www.vet.com.au/html/zoo/local/zoo_descriptions/destiny.htm ]
    :

    :
    Win32.Destiny
    :

    :
    Win32.Destiny trojan is a Dynamic Link Library (DLL) usually called
    :
    "kernell32.dll". The use of this filename is probably an attempt to hide
    the:
    trojan, as users may confuse it with the Windows system file "kernel32.dll"
    :

    :
    kernell32.dll c'est le PUTAIN de fichier qui'il telecarge
    :

    :
    The trojan registers itself as a "Browser Helper Object", a DLL which
    :
    attaches itself to every instance of Internet Explorer. Because of this,
    :
     the trojan is loaded whenever a new Internet Explorer session is started.
    :

    :
    The trojan connects to a machine on the internet on port 8989 and sends
    :
    some information about the local system, including the IP address and the
    :
    user's e-mail address. It also changes the following Internet Explorer
    :
    security settings for the "Internet Zone":
    :

    :
    +------------.
    :
     The Solution \
    :
    +--------------`------------------------------------------------------------
    .
    Someone must contact the administrator of the site 64.240.175.18 and tell
    :
    him/her to rm the kernell32.cab of his/her site.
    :

    :
    Second you can apply these suggestions:
    :

    :
    [Extracted From www.vet.com.au ]
    :
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt.
    :
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disable.
    :
    Run ActiveX controls and plugins: Enable.
    :
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disable.
    :
    Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting: Enable
    :
    .

    The only secure computer is one that's unplugged, locked in a safe,
    and buried 20 feet under the ground in a secret location... and i'm
    not even too sure about that one"--Dennis Huges, FBI.
    Live Well Do Good  www.SafeHack.com                         |
    Je Pense, Donc Je Suis                                    \(|)/
    I know I ain't perfect, but i'm 99 point 9 percent :)    --(")--
    RFCs are meant to be read and followed…:)                  /`\  NtWaK0
    Connect yourself to the main computer and let me take you to a
    cybernetic ride. Are you connected to the right cybernet? If you are,
    finally you are connected to my brain.
    -=- Use a computer in a ways that ensure respect for your fellow     -=-