And another (same) bug in DCForum at user registration process (dcscripts.com)

From: shimi (shimiat_private)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 08:32:43 PST

    When registering a user and not allowing him to choose a password, a
    password is generated by the same algorithm as the algorithm used when
    creating new password for a user who lost it.

    Once again, the password is predictable, thus bypasses all limitations of
    using a valid mailbox for user registration (user can use a fake E-Mail
    address, and still know his password)

    In Lib/user_register.pl:

    <snip>
       if ($r_in->{'command'} eq 'register') {

    </snip>
    <snip>
          if ($r_setup->{'auth_register_via_email'} eq 'on') {
             my $session = get_session_id();
             $r_in->{'password'} = substr($session,3,6);
    </snip>

    Should be random. Use the same patch as with the other bug:

    http://www.dcscripts.com/bugtrac/DCForumID7/3.html

    Have fun.

      Best regards,
         Shimi

    ----

       "Outlook is a massive flaming horrid blatant security violation, which
        also happens to be a mail reader."

       "Sure UNIX is user friendly; it's just picky about who its friends are."

        Sign that you downloaded Linux from a bad source:
        "My compiler keeps hanging on NSABackdoor.h !!!"