RE: Intel.com Mailing List Arbitrary Address Removal Link

From: jlewisat_private
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 07:26:07 PST

    On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Knud Erik Højgaard wrote:

    > cnn.com has similar stuff with their mailing lists. The best part
    > about their lists is that they require no 'approval' of joining the
    > list - they just start sending you mails. Always great coming back
    > from a holiday just to see your mailbox flooded with a few hundred
    > mails.

    I was considering posting about this, but you beat me to it.  Cnet / Ziff
    Davis suffer the same problem.  Recently, this was used by a disgruntled
    ex-coworker to harass me.  It seems it's much easier for someone else to
    subscribe you to these lists than it is to get off of them.  Requests to
    be removed are responded to with "go to this URL to switch your
    subscription between HTML or plain text format messages."  ARGH!!!

    As an experiment, I went to CNET's web site, found the URL to subscribe to
    a few lists, and subscribed a bogus address on a domain I own.  This was
    done via a simple web form with no confirmation whatsoever.  They've been
    sending messages (which bounce back with 'no such user' errors) for 3 days
    so far.

    Depending on the mail software they're using, this might provide for an
    interesting DoS against CNET's mailing list servers.

    CNET is aware of this problem but seems unmotivated to do anything about
    it.

     Jon Lewis *jlewisat_private*|  I route
     Atlantic Net                |