SNMP Enabled on Dell Servers

From: Will Backman (whbat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 15:15:26 PST

    While Microsoft says that SNMP is NOT enabled on any version of Windows,
    my new Dell PowerEdge with Win2000SP2 came with it installed and
    running.  Besides the current exploits, it uses the stupid defaults that
    NT4.0 has, which is a community string of PUBLIC with READ-CREATE.

    I figure the new holes in SNMP will case a lot of scanning for the
    service, and there may be a lot of folks who do not realize that the
    vendor might have installed it and turned it on in the OEM media.

    Will Backman
    Network Administrator