Identix BioLogon 3

From: Paul A Roberts (probertsat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 00:42:10 PST

    I released the following to CERT and then realized it was probably not the
    best place for this issue as the vulnerability is more local network and
    workstation than Internet.  They have not responded within the last 5 days
    and so I'm forwarding the CERT submission form to SecurityFocus.

    Vulnerability submission:

    CONTACT INFORMATION
    Let us know who you are:

    Name : Paul A Roberts
    E-mail : probertsat_private
    paul.a.robertsat_private
    Phone / fax : (503)581-1881 / (503)945-6443

    Affiliation and address: Oregon Department of Human Services
    500 Summer St. NE -- NDS 5th Floor
    Salem, OR 97301

    Have you reported this to the vendor? YES

    If so, please let us know whom you've contacted:

    Date of your report : 02/02/02
    Vendor contact name : Rob Roy
    Vendor contact phone : 408-335-1400
    Vendor contact e-mail : rroyat_private
    Vendor reference number : 020502-1015a

    If not, we encourage you to do so--vendors need to hear about
    vulnerabilities from you as a customer.

    POLICY INFO
    We encourage communication between vendors and their customers. When
    we forward a report to the vendor, we include the reporter's name and
    contact information unless you let us know otherwise.
    If you want this report to remain anonymous, please check here:
    ___ Do not release my identity to your vendor contact.

    TECHNICAL INFO
    If there is a CERT Vulnerability tracking number please put it
    here (otherwise leave blank): VU#______.

    Please describe the vulnerability.
    ---------------------------------
    What is the impact of this vulnerability?
    (For example: local user can gain root/privileged access, intruders
    can create root-owned files, denial of service attack, etc.)
    a) What is the specific impact:

    The BioLogon 3 software is designed to provide 3-factor authentication.
    Fingerprint, Smart Card, Password. All three authentications can be
    bypassed at the login GINA.

    b) How would you envision it being used in an attack scenario:

    An individual with physical access to a laptop or workstation can gain
    System privileges without authenticating in order to obtain, alter,
    remove, data or to install a backdoor.

    To your knowledge is the vulnerability currently being exploited?
    NO

    If there is an exploitation script available, please include it here.
    Sample exploit:

    At an XP or NT login the operator presses CTRL-ALT-DEL.
    The GINA option "More" can then be selected. For XP, Configure / Sounds
    is then selected. An event can then be selected and "Browse" initiated.
    Once Browse is initiated System level explorer access is granted. Files
    can be copied to removable media or files can be imported from removable
    media to local locations such as startup folders. Properties can be
    altered and files removed or added. NT 4 behaves much the same with minor
    menu differences.

    Do you know what systems and/or configurations are vulnerable?
    YES (If yes, please list them below)

    I've only tested 'secure' MS systems (not Win9x or any other potential
    platforms).

    System : Microsoft Windows BioLogon 3 Build (11106)
    OS version : XP Professional / NT 4 / (2000 guess)
    Verified/Guessed: Verified

    Are you aware of any workarounds and/or fixes for this vulnerability?
    YES (If you have a workaround or are aware of patches
    please include the information here.)

    Identix has not updated their web site as of yet or added a customer
    download to address this vulnerability. They were very responsive in
    providing a patched DLL file via e-mail once they were made aware of the
    vulnerability. The DLL replaces the install version of "Itlogonx.dll".
    This resolves the issue on XP Professional and on NT 4 (assume 2000 as
    well).

    OTHER INFORMATION
    =
    Is there anything else you would like to tell us?

    Identix indicated they would add this vulnerability to their FAQ and a fix
    in the next release. Due to the severity of the hole on an unpatched
    system I believe this should be indexed as soon as possible. I believe
    with the patch they are ready to handle this situation, though, as noted,
    it was not available on the website at this time.

    -------
    CERT and CERT Coordination Center are registered in the U.S. Patent and
    Trademark office.