*****SPAM***** UPDATE: [wcolburnat_private: SMTP relay through checkpoint firewall]

From: William D. Colburn (aka Schlake) (wcolburnat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 16:09:59 PST

SPAM: -------------------- Start SpamAssassin results ----------------------
SPAM: This mail is probably spam.  The original message has been altered
SPAM: so you can recognise or block similar unwanted mail in future.
SPAM: See http://spamassassin.org/tag/ for more details.
SPAM:
SPAM: Content analysis details:   (7.12 hits, 5 required)
SPAM: Hit! (1.91 points) BODY: Claims you can be removed from the list
SPAM: Hit! (1 point)     BODY: Claims you can be removed from the list
SPAM: Hit! (0.01 points) BODY: List removal information
SPAM: Hit! (1.2 points)  BODY: HTML mail with non-white background
SPAM: Hit! (3 points)    Listed in Razor, see http://razor.sourceforge.net/
SPAM:
SPAM: -------------------- End of SpamAssassin results ---------------------

Checkpoint bounced my mail because I'm not a checkpoint customer, so I
contacted customer advocacy and resent it to a different address (this
message is copied to her as well).  I was told that the issue would be
propogated to an appropriate person.

Please drop the old message and continue to hold this message until
Checkpoint responds.

I have a few updates to this issue that I have learned since I crafted
the original message.

I only need to give the "CONNECT" line, and nothing else.  After the
second newline there is a pause and then the TCP stream is open.  I seem
to be able to open any port on any machine I want *except* port 80.  I
was able to telnet in to UNIX login with the firewall appearing as the
remote host.  The initial machine I use (inside the firewall) does not
need to actually exist, I merely have to attempt to connect to an IP
address "inside" on port 80.

This whole give anyone outside a firewall the ability to masquerade on
any TCP service (except WWW) as a machine inside the domain of the
firewall.  As far as I can tell there are no logs on this, and it is
hard to detect on the firewall.  I found it by doing a tcpdump of all
packets and gradually narrowing down my filters until I was able to
"catch" an entire transaction.

----- Forwarded message from "William D. Colburn (aka Schlake)" <wcolburnat_private> -----

Step one: telnet to a machine behind the checkpoint firewall on port 80

Step two: Type the following:
>CONNECT mailserver.somecompany.com:25 / HTTP/1.0
>Cache-Control: private,no-cache
>Pragma: no-cache

Step three: wait a moment for your SMTP banner to pop up.

I will attach an actual attack I caputured with tcpdump and ethereal.
The file is the result of an ethereal "Follow TCP stream".

I hate the person who did this to me and I hope they die a terrible
death.

--
William Colburn, "Sysprog" <wcolburnat_private>
Computer Center, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA