Re: Cert Advisory 2002-03 and HP JetDirect

From: david evlis reign (davidreignat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 02:14:20 PST

    As an interesting side note, Ethereal (a popular open source sniffer /
    traffic analyzer) crashes every time it sees this packet also. It gives the
    error "GLib-ERROR **: could not allocate -1 bytes aborting...".

    this caught my attention for two reasons.
    my probably wrong explantion for this is the following:
    1) mangled packet sent, containing some large values (no idea what)
    2) ettercap recieves and processes this saying that int whatever = <large
    value from packet>
    3) int returns unsigned, classic integer overflow style.
    4) passed to malloc as an unsigned value, malloc shits itself.
    5) ettercap spits out cant allocate <whatever> bytes.

    possibly exploitable (heap + int == hard ;))

    someone prove me wrong _please_
    davidr