BadBlue Yet Another Directory Traversal

From: Strumpf Noir Society (vuln-devat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 08:38:06 PST

    Strumpf Noir Society Advisories
    ! Public release !
    <--#

    -= BadBlue Yet Another Directory Traversal =-

    Release date: Tuesday, February 26, 2002

    Introduction:

    BadBlue is the technology behind Working Resources Inc.'s product line with
    the same name and which, amongst other things, also powers Deerfield.com's
    D2Gfx file sharing community.

    Working Resources Inc. :        http://www.badblue.com
    Deerfield's D2Gfx :             http://d2gfx.deerfield.com

    Problem:

    The BadBlue server has in the past been found vulnerable to several directory
    traversal attacks. One of these was the "regular" double-dot traversal attack.
    We ourselves described another one in our earlier advisory sns2k2-badblue2-adv,
    entitled "BadBlue Scripting Directory Traversal Vulnerability". Working Resources
    Inc. has applied fixes for both, however these can easily be circumvented.

    Below described problem was identified during testing of the fix for the issue
    we reported in sns2k2-badblue2-adv, which has just recently been released. In
    our previous advisory we expressed the vendor's intention to solve this problem
    in the next BadBlue release (not forthcoming at the time), it is however
    important to note that this release (v1.6) is vulnerable to below as well.

    The problem lies in the fact that the BadBlue server filters the "./"
    combination out of urls to prevent the directory traversal attacks described.
    In doing so however, it leaves open a window of exploitation for variations of
    these characters, which are not correctly removed from input.

    Example:

    http://server/.../...//file.ext

    The problem is obvious and allows an attacker to read any file on the server.

    (..)

    Solution:

    Vendor has been notified and has released BadBlue v1.6.1 which does properly
    parse requests like this.

    Vulnerable:

    - BadBlue Personal Edition (v1.5.6 Beta) for Win95/NT4
    - BadBlue Personal Edition (v1.5.6 Beta) for Win98/2000/ME/XP
    - BadBlue Enterprise Edition (v1.5.?) for Win95/NT4
    - BadBlue Enterprise Edition (v1.5.?) for Win98/2000/ME/XP
    - BadBlue Personal Edition (v1.6 Beta) for Win95/NT4
    - BadBlue Personal Edition (v1.6 Beta) for Win98/2000/ME/XP
    - BadBlue Enterprise Edition (v1.6 Beta) for Win95/NT4
    - BadBlue Enterprise Edition (v1.6 Beta) for Win98/2000/ME/XP

    - Deerfield D2Gfx (v1.0.2 - Effectively BadBlue v1.0.2) for
    Win9x/NT/2000/ME/XP

    Earlier versions were already found vulnerable to mentioned "regular" directory
    traversal attacks.

    yadayadayada

    SNS Research is rfpolicy (http://www.wiretrip.net/rfp/policy.html)
    compliant, all information is provided on AS IS basis.

    EOF, but Strumpf Noir Society will return!