Re: Anti Virus Mailscanners DOS

From: David F. Skoll (dfsat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 16:16:53 PST

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Eduardo R. Maciel wrote:

    > The most of virus scanners look inside compressed files. There are
    > still several viruses that are not "email contamination" specific. So
    > I believe that it's not wrong to look inside compressed archives, BUT
    > it should check the size of files inside the compressed archive
    > before.

    In general, you cannot check the size of compressed files without
    uncompressing.  For example, with a tar.gz, you have to uncompress
    the whole thing.

    Limiting the size you scan could also allow viruses to escape
    undetected, viz:

    (cat small_x86_code; \
     dd if=/dev/zero bs=1k count=10k; \
     cat viral_payload) | gzip -9 > file.gz

    I assume that small_x86_code contains an .exe header plus code to jump
    past the 10Meg of zeros.

    So because you can get around scanners which limit the size of the
    scan, and you can DoS scanners which do not limit the size, you might
    as well not bother scanning compressed or archived files at all, except
    under manual control.

    --
    David.