SECURITY.NNOV: Special device access in The Bat!

From: 3APA3A (3APA3Aat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 06:01:39 PST

    Dear bugtraq,

    Topic:          Special device access in The Bat!
    Author:         3APA3A <3APA3Aat_private>
    Date:           February, 25 2002
    Software:       The Bat! 1.53d, 1.54beta
    Vendor:         Ritlabs (http://www.thebat.net)
    Risk:           Low to average
    Remote:         Yes
    Exploitable:    Yes
    Vendor Status:  Notified, not verified

    Details:

    The   Bat!   has special device access bug. If The Bat! is configured to
    save attachment apart from message bodies and file has a name of special
    device  The  Bat!  will attempt to open special device. This kind of bug
    was  described  in  [1].  This  bug  was probably reintroduced in one of
    latest version, because our previous test with this product 6 months ago
    failed.

    It's  not  clear at that moment if it's possible to write special device
    (for example to send attached file to printer or COM port), but this bug
    definitely  can  be  used  as  a DoS attack against The Bat!. After this
    message  The  Bat! stops receiving of any messages (sometimes absolutely
    silent, sometimes warning displayed that file can't be open).

    Workaround:

    Disable   "Keep   attachment   files   separately"   option   or   use
    Account/Dispatch  Mail  On  Server  option to delete problematic message
    from server.

    Vendor:

    Vendor was contacted twice on February, 19. No replies received.

    Exploitation:

    bash-2.03$ sendmail -U testat_private