2K, with RealPlayer Installed 100 % CPU utilization

From: Adonis.No.Spam (adonis1at_private)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 05:52:45 PST

              0    10   20   30   40   50   60   70   80   90  100
              |----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|
                               .---------------.
                              / NtWaK0 Advisory \
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
                                                                            :
    Affected         : 2K, with RealPlayer Installed. I did not test XP     :
    Type             : 100 % CPU utilization                                :
    Date             : 28-02-2002                                           :
    Author           : NtWaK0 @ www.SafeHack.com                            :
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------------.

    +---------------------.
     100 % CPU utilization \
    +-----------------------`-----------------------------------------------.
                                                                            :
    +-----------.                                                           :
     Disclaimer  \                                                          :
    +-------------`---------------------------------------------------------.
    The information in this advisory is believed to be true based on        :
    experiments though it may be false. The opinions expressed in this      :
    advisory and program are my own and NOT of any company.                 :
    In Fact I do not work for no one at the present time.                   :
                                                                            :
    This material is presented for informational and entertainment purposes :
    only, and to satisfy the curious. Any activities described in this file :
    which involve vandalism, theft, or any other illegal activities are     :
    recounted from third-party conversations. I do not condone or encourage :
    vandalism or theft. I do not accept any liability for anything anyone   :
    does with this information. So, don't shoot the messenger.              :
    Remember: Use a computer in ways that ensure respect for your fellows.  :
                                                                            :
    +-------------.                                                         :
     Brief History \                                                        :
    +---------------`-------------------------------------------------------.
    You are affected if you have RealPlayer installed on 2K and your        :
    browser open MP3 file using RealPlayer.                                 :
                                                                            :
    +---------------------------+                                           :
     >>> Test OS Applications <<<                                           :
    +---------------------------+                                           :
    Tested on Windows 2K, XP with Realplayer Plys 8 Installed. Maybe other  :
    versions of Realplayer are affected too. I do not have other versions   :
                                                                            :
                                                                            :
    +-----------.                                                           :
     The Problem \                                                          :
    +-------------`---------------------------------------------------------.
    To see the problem do the following steps:                              :
    1- Make sure you have Windows RealPlayer installed                      :
    2- Make sure that .mp3 file will be opened using Realplayer. Normaly    :
       this is the default after you install Realplayer.                    :
    3- Take any non .mp3 file say virus.exe rename it to virus.mp3          :
    4- Create an HTML file that open test.mp3                               :
    5- Put the files test.mp3 and test.html on your web server              :
    6- Open http://www.yourwebserver.com/test.html                          :
    7- HIT CTRL+DEL+ALT and check your CPU it should be 100 % if Realplayer :
       open.                                                                :
                                                                            :
    I have a test page on www.safehack.com/testpage/test1.htm               :
                                                                            :
    The problem is Realplayer will open and will try to connect and play    :
    the NON valid mp3 file.                                                 :
                                                                            :
    This issue does not happen if your default mp3 player is winamp or ohter:
                                                                            :
    Another behavior I did notice id the html link point to  file.exe.mp3   :
    not Realplayer.                                                         :
    I have a test page on www.safehack.com/testpage/test2.htm               :
                                                                            :
    This test page will open Winamp even if your default is Realplayer      :
                                                                            :
    +------------.                                                          :
     The Solution \                                                         :
    +--------------`--------------------------------------------------------.
    Don't Make Realplayer your default to open mp3 files                    :
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------------.

    The only secure computer is one that's unplugged, locked in a safe,
    and buried 20 feet under the ground in a secret location... and i'm
    not even too sure about that one"--Dennis Huges, FBI.
    Live Well Do Good  www.SafeHack.com                         |
    Je Pense, Donc Je Suis                                    \(|)/
    I know I ain't perfect, but i'm 99 point 9 percent :)    --(")--
    RFCs are meant to be read and followed…:)                  /`\  NtWaK0
    Connect yourself to the main computer and let me take you to a
    cybernetic ride. Are you connected to the right cybernet? If you are,
    finally you are connected to my brain.
    -=- Use a computer in a ways that ensure respect for your fellow     -=-