Commercial stack fragility (Was RE: Cert Advisory 2002-03 and HP JetDirect)

From: Brewis, Mark (mark.brewisat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 05:50:22 PST

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Joshua Newton [mailto:babyswanat_private]
    Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 12:42 AM
    To: bugtraqat_private
    Subject: Re: Cert Advisory 2002-03 and HP JetDirect

    >> In fact,while I'm at it, most every embedded IP stack I've ever seen has
    been at
    least this fragile, if not more so -- I've seen Intermec OpenAir access
    points, Ricoh network print cards, and Powerware UPS SNMP boxes all
    exhibit the same kind of awful -- and inexcusable -- fragility.<<

    Quite often these are commercial, off the peg TCP/IP stacks.  I have seen
    some dreadful examples, both in terms of fragility and of TCP sequence
    number generation.  I've seen sequential, sequential based on standard
    increments, and repeating sequences.

    Commercial stacks are often found on network peripherals, and on printers in
    particular.  The danger lies in the fact that these devices are seen as
    'only' printers etc, when they are actually complex devices able to support
    web and ftp servers, with processors and (sometimes significant) memory and
    storage capabilities.  They are just another host on the network, with lots
    of functionality and little or no security.

    Compromise a network via the printers and you will have a network managers
    attention.  The only problem lies in the paucity of solutions available to
    correct the issue.

    I'm working with one manufacturer to improve their product line, but
    manufacturers in general have a long way to go.

    Mark Brewis

    Security Consultant
    EDS
    Information Assurance Group
    Wavendon Tower
    Milton Keynes
    Buckinghamshire
    MK17 8LX.

    Tel:	+44 (0)1908 28 4234/4013
    Fax:	+44 (0)1908 28 4393
    E@:	mark.brewisat_private
    	mail@check-security.demon.co.uk
    PGP Key ID:
    C36D 770F 49F7 CC91 2E5A  A2BE FE6E CD43 E6CD 9184