Re: NAI Gauntlet Firewall 5.5 for NT (Multiple Vendor HTTP CONNECT TCP Tunnel Vulnerability (bugtraq id 4131)

From: Colin Campbell (sgcccdcat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 18:57:48 PST

    Hi,

    It is (or at least I thought it was) well known that an http-gw in both
    Gauntlet and the fwtk should NEVER listen on the external address. On a
    Gauntlet system use the bind-address directive to make sure it doesn't
    listen. To be doubly sure set up the appropriate packet filters to stop
    incoming connections. On a fwtk system I don't recall the bind-address
    directive being present so I always used packet filters to block incoming
    connections.

    If you must "reverse proxy", use plug-gw. Better still put a proxy outside
    the firewall and plug it through the firewall to the real server.

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Rashed Alabbar wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    >     I found some vulnerabilities on the NAI Gauntlet Firewall 5.5 on NT
    > 4. These vulnerabilities were found in other firewalls, specifically
    > proxy firewalls, and I tried them on the Gauntlet, it worked.

    Colin