Re: the dangers of disclosing vulnerabilities when the guilty party is ignorant of industry standards

From: Brian McWilliams (brian@pc-radio.com)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 15:16:53 PST

    A bit more on the situation with Antoine Champagne's Kitetoa.com is here:

    Court Decision Could Gag French Security Site Kitetoa
    http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/174910.html

    The 1,000 euros fine is suspended on the condition that Champagne avoid any
    other convictions in the next 5 years.

    But the court decision is causing Kitetoa to consider shutting down.

    Excerpt:

    "From now on, you can find yourself in front of a court accused of hacking
    just for using Netscape Navigator," said Champagne, who noted that French
    police have threatened to search his house and confiscate his computers if
    he similarly runs afoul of the law again.

    Brian