AOL Instant Messenger Servers Patched and...Un-Patched?

From: Brendan Butts (sbbuttsat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 22:20:07 PST

    ---AOL Instant Messenger Still Vulnurable to DoS
    attack---

    Author: Nemisis (sbbuttsat_private)

    Synopis-

    After everything that has happened, with the game
    invite crash, File Crash, Buddy List Crash, Etc.  AOL
    patched there AIM servers, to protect users against
    these attacks and released new versions of instant
    messenger.  Sometime in the middle of January, you
    could no longer use AIM Filter, or Nemisis AIM Suite,
    to exploit these bugs.  Upon execution of a Buddy List
    Kill Attack with AIM Suite (a DoS attack that locks up
    Windows AIM 4.7 and the first 4.8 beta with an overly
    large buddylist) , your would recive..
    'Error Code 14' from the server in your IM window.
    AOL's server-side block of this bug protected the
    target from having their client frozen.  Now it seems
    that they have given up there server-side block of this
    kill, and it can once again be exploited.  The newest
    AIM beta 4.8.24.64 I belive is not vulnurable to this
    attack.

    Implications-

    The problem is that when a user goes to
    www.AIM.com to download AIM, they are not given
    the chance out right to download the newest beta,
    you have to dig around the site to find the beta
    download page.  Instead mass amounts of users are
    downloading AIM 4.7, which is STILL vulnurable to the
    Buddy Kill DoS attack.   Why AOL fixed this problem
    on the server-side, and then un-fixed I wont even
    venture a guess on.

    Fix-

    For those who are wary to download any new Beta
    versions of AIM from AOL (and arn't we all) there is
    still the AIM Filter or Nemisis AIM Suite, alternative.
    Which are both availble at
    www.dreamscapeprod.com/nemisis

    -