Java HTTP proxy vulnerability

From: Harmen van der Wal (harmwalat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 17:32:24 PST

    ===Java HTTP proxy vulnerability===

       Reference  wal-01
       Version    1.0
       Date       March 05, 2002

    ===Cross references

       Sun Security Bulletin               #00216
       Microsoft Security Bulletin       MS02-013

       Vulnerability identifier     CAN-2002-0058 (under review)
       http://www.cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CAN-2002-0058

    ===Classifications

       Java, networking, HTTP
       Web browsers, applets
       Unchecked network access, HTTP proxy connection hijacking

    ===Abstract problem description

       =Background
    The Java security model is designed to allow code from an untrusted
    source, usually web applets, to be safely executed.

       =Problem
    An applet could do irregular, unchecked HTTP requests.

       =Consequence
    Network access restrictions that apply, can be bypassed.
    Only systems that have a HTTP proxy configured can be vulnerable.

    One particular nasty exploit is where a remote server, aided by a
    hostile applet, hijacks a browsers persistent HTTP connection to its
    configured HTTP proxy.

    ===Affected software & patch availability; vendor bulletins

       =Sun

           Bulletin Number:  #00216
           Date:		 March 4, 2002
           Title:		 HttpURLConnection
           http://sunsolve.Sun.COM/pub-cgi/secBulletin.pl
           (At the time of this writing bulletin 216 was not available on
           the website yet.)

       =Microsoft

           Microsoft Security Bulletin  MS02-013
           Java Applet Can Redirect Browser Traffic
           Originally posted: March 04, 2002
           http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?
              url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS02-013.asp
           (URL is wrapped, please fix.)

       =Netscape
            Sun JVM (Java Virtual Machine) Issue
            http://home.netscape.com/security/

    ===Vendor contact
    Shortly after I, more or less by coincidence, discovered the issue, I
    reported it to Sun on April 07, 2001. They communicated it to their
    Java licensees, and coordinated a synchronized response.

       =Free Java implementations
    I audited both Kaffe and GNU Classpath class libraries, and to the
    best of my knowledge, they are not vulnerable to this issue. Anyone
    out there developing a free(TM) Java, please contact me if you have
    questions or concerns, and I will be happy to assist you in any way I
    can.

    ===Disclosure policy
    I do not plan to release details of the vulnerability, that could make
    it easier for crackers to get exploits, before a three month grace
    period has expired. Customers should not to assume that the lack of
    vulnerability details at this time will prevent the creation of
    exploit programs.

    ===Detailed problem description
    No details are provided at this time.
    See Disclosure policy.

    ===PoC-exploit
    I supplied Sun with a PoC-exploit, and they passed it on to other
    vendors. No further distribution is expected.

    ===Software I tested/audited myself.
    Sun/Blackdown	      1.1.7/8, 1.2.2, 1.3.0/1	linux/win32
    Netscape 4.61	      default Java Runtime	linux
    MSIE 5.0	      default Java Runtime	win32
    HotJava Browser 3.0
    Kaffe 1.06
    GNU Classpath 0.03

    ===Acknowledgment
    Thanks to the vendors for addressing the issue. Special thanks to
    Sun, in particular Chok Poh, for coordinating.

    ===Disclaimer & Copying
    This comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY!
    Copying in whole and quoting parts permitted.

    ===History
    Version 1.0 is the first release of this document.
    Updates    http://www.xs4all.nl/~harmwal/issue/wal-01.txt

    ===Contact
    Author     Harmen van der Wal
    Mail	   harmwalat_private