RE: PCFriendly DVD Backchannel

From: garberoaat_private
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 17:55:18 PST

    Tiny Personal Firewall will perform, to some extent, as you've described
    when set in learning mode, and will remember which apps you've allowed to
    send/receive TCP/UDP on which ports.

    To the best of my knowledge, TPF will not perform the following items on
    your wish list:

    			Connection options:
                      Just for the next hour
                      Just for today
                      Until XYZ.EXE terminates

    			Action:
    			Refuse the connection*
                 	Pretend to connect, return no data
                 	Allow the connection, log first 512 bytes

    *TPF sends no RST, so the connection will be refused by omission.

    TPF also has rather granular support for ICMP traffic, so that you can
    allow/disallow specific message types.

    Best Regards,

    Andrew Garberoglio, CISSP
    Wells Fargo Services, Internet Technology Services

    "Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not
    eff it after all"
    -Douglas Adams