Re: On the ultimate futility of server-based mail scanning

From: David Kennedy CISSP (david.kennedyat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 20:16:29 PST

    At 05:07 PM 3/4/02 -0500, David F. Skoll wrote:
    >Ultimately, the responsibility falls on the MUA and the end-user's OS
    >vendor.  We either put secure end-user software onto the desktop, or
    >we admit defeat.

    I understand the complaints, but I don't admit defeat nor will I reject as
    futile a solution that's working.  Server-based mail scanning has technical
    limitations.  So?  If a server-based solution intercepts only 80% of the
    inbound malicious code to an enterprise that still 80% less for the IS/IT
    staff to worry about and 80% less for desktop scanners to catch or 80% less
    for users to judge whether "new photos from my party" is a bad or good
    thing.  Certainly there are ways to attack the scanner and cause a denial
    of service, as there are ways to bypass some scanners.  The scanners must
    keep up with the threats and so far most have.  Server-based scanning
    provides a chokepoint in today's environments that is far easier to
    maintain than thousands of Microsoft desktops with wide variations of
    client anti-virus "solutions."

    Ultimately we live with the deployed systems we have, and their
    limitations.  I'm unaware of a solution available today that supports
    management and user demands for "friendliness" and puts secure end-user
    software on the desktop.  Server-based scanning provides a solution *today*
    that, while imperfect, is manageable and effective in stopping most of the
    malicious code in the wild.  "Most" is not "all," but it's a lot more than
    "none."

    --
    Regards,

    David Kennedy CISSP                         /"\
    Director of Research Services,              \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign
    TruSecure Corp. http://www.trusecure.com     X  Against HTML Mail
    Protect what you connect;                   / \
    Look both ways before crossing the Net.