Linksys BEFVP41 VPN Server does not follow proper VPN standards

From: pschlesingerat_private
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 16:41:16 PST

    Dear all,

    A month ago, we discovered a bug in the VPN Server
    module of the Linksys EtherFast BEFVP41
    Cable/DSL VPN Router.  Here's the detailed email we
    sent to Linksys Tech Support:

    **** Begin Email ****
    Dear Support @ Linksys,

    We recently heard about your BEFVP41 and thought
    we'd try it out as we
    liked the BEFSR41.  Our corporate office uses a
    SonicWALL Pro 200 on a
    T-1 line.

    Anyway, I tried setting up a manual key entry on both
    the Pro 200 and
    the BEFVP41, but the key lengths on the BEFVP41
    appear to be WAY off.
    Just to give you an idea, the SonicWALL approved
    the following 3DES/MD5
    keys:

    Encryption:
    80C4DAFD9AFC3D7AB57079E19DEBFFF43538A62
    039768D74
    Authentication:
    32EA72F58D7F1E063E14A3FF78131172

    But the BEFVP41 truncates the keys to:

    Encryption: 80C4DAFD9AFC3D7AB57079E
    Authentication: 32EA72F58D7F1E063E1

    This happens even when I've selected 3DES
    encryption and MD5
    authentication on the BEFVP41.  SonicWALL's
    manual for configuring the
    VPN clearly states:

    "The DES and ARCFour Keys must be exactly 16
    characters long and are
    comprised of hexadecimal characters.  Triple DES
    Keys are 48 characters
    long."..."The AH key must be exactly 32 characters
    long, if MD5 is used,
    and is comprised of hexadecimal characters"

    whereas your manual states on page 22, "up to 23
    alphanumeric characters
    are allowed to create this key", yet as you'll see
    above, the
    authentication string actually is restricted to 19
    characters.  What's
    going on?  Do you expect people to convert between
    base 16 (hexadecimal)
    and base 36 (alphanumeric)?
    *** End Email ***

    BTW, the end question re: base 36 (alphanumeric
    was because their GUI and manual didn't explain
    whether the information has to be entered in base 2,
    base 10, base 16, or base 36 - the VPN Server
    configuration screen seems to use both base 10 and
    base 36.  Documentation for the product is rather
    utilitarian...

    Anyway, I received an email shortly thereafter stating
    that they were escalating the problem to level 2
    support.  On 2/11, I received the following message
    from a Senior Product Support Representative at
    Linksys (I've chosen to withhold his name to prevent
    Loshen Hora):

    **** Begin Email ****
    Dear Valued Linksys Customer:

    Thank you for contacting Linksys Customer Support.

    We will attempt to address this in the next firmware
    release.

    If you have further questions, please contact us at
    (800) 326-7114 or
    **** End Email ***

    My reply to the Senior Product Support
    Representative at Linksys:

    **** Begin Email ****
    You're kidding, right?  Are you telling me that Linksys
    didn't use the
    proper IPSec keying methods in the design of the
    BEFVP41 when it says right
    on the box "Full IPSec Virtual Private Network (VPN)
    Capability" and that it
    is compatible with the SonicWALL Tele2 (which uses
    the same keying scheme)?
    When is this firmware update coming?

    PS - Out of curiosity, will I be receiving credit for
    finding this flaw? (Poster's note: okay, okay...so my
    interest in fame got the better of me...)

    **** End Email ****

    The reply from the Senior Product Support
    Representative at Linksys:

    **** Begin Email ****
    Thank you for contacting Linksys Customer Support.

    Well sir it does work when you use IKE, which is
    much more secure than
    manual keying.  Unfortunately sir bugs do happen in a
    product that hasn't
    been out on the market for more than a couple of
    months.  I apologize for
    any inconvenience that this has caused you, but
    Linksys does not issue
    credit.

    If you have further questions, please contact us at
    (800) 326-7114 or
    **** End Email ****

    That last email was sent to my on 2/12.  It's now
    about a month later and there has not been a new
    firmware update for the BEFVP41 yet on the web site.

    Just a FYI for y'all.

    - Phil