Re: zlibscan : script to find suid binaries possibly affected by zlib vulnerability

From: Bernd Jendrissek (berndjat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 04:24:05 PST

    In article <Pine.BSO.4.33.0203112131260.11537-100000at_private> hologram <holoat_private> wrote:
    >The following is a quick shell script to find suid binaries that are
    >potentially affected by the zlib vulnability (i.e., those dynamically
    >linked).
    >
    >-[snip]-----------------------------------------------------------------
    [snip again]

    I'm more concerned about *statically* linked binaries, since dynamically
    linked binaries should automagically use the patched libz when it is
    installed.

    # find / -type f -print0 |xargs -0 strings -af |grep '\(in\|de\)flate.*\(Gailly\|Adler\)'
    (Apologies to Gailly and Adler.)

    Besides the usual suspects (/usr/lib/libz*, etc.) here are some binaries I
    would consider "sensitive":
    > /bin/rpm
    > /sbin/install-info
    "Never install packages from untrusted sources"
    > /sbin/sash
    Understandable, sa == Stand-Alone
    > lots of stuff under /usr/X11R6/bin - of course
    > /usr/bin/rpm2cpio
    > /usr/bin/cvs
    So anoncvs can "fix" gcc to become like dmr's trusting-trust C compiler?
    > /usr/bin/rsync
    > /usr/lib/kaffe/libawt-1.0.6.so
    > some stuff under /usr/lib/perl5
    > /usr/sbin/pppdump
    Now all you need to do is dial up and send some bogus compressed PPP?
    Unlimited ISP access?  Neat!

    Bernd Jendrissek