RE: MSIE vulnerability exploitable with IncrediMail

From: Thor Larholm (Thorat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 15:16:53 PST

    I just downloaded and installed Eudora 5.1 from the vendors site and tested.

    Eudora does indeed store any attachments in its "attach" directory, which in
    my case was "C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora\attach". This happened at the
    moment of arrival, before I even opened the email.

    However, Eudora is not directly subject to this exploit - all <OBJECT> and
    <SCRIPT> tags are automatically filtered out before rendering the HTML
    email. Furthermore, the default install of Eudora seems to run with any
    scripting disabled in its HTML rendering.

    So far this is very promising and a nice touch by Qualcomm, and does indeed
    eliminate the possibility of an automated attach-and-run virus. Even when
    embedding an automated refresh in the HTML that forces the preview pane to a
    new page ( e.g. <META
    HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="1;URL=http://your.tld/evil.html"> ), Eudora
    will not execute any scripting or ActiveX in "evil.html".

    Still, all you need to do from here is a bit of social engineering ("Free
    porn that way! -->") to convince the user that he must click on the link to
    your site (containing the exploit code). When the user clicks a link in
    Eudora, it's opened in his browser instead of inside the preview pane, and
    the exploit code can then run automatically.

    Regards
    Thor Larholm
    Jubii A/S - Internet Programmer