[Immunix-announce] Re: [VulnWatch] Bypassing libsafe format string protection

From: Steve Beattie (steveat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 10:24:18 PST

    On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 11:35:04AM +0100, Wojciech Purczynski wrote:
    > 1.
    >
    > Libsafe protection against format string exploits may be easily bypassed
    > using flag characters that are implemented in glibc but are not
    > implemented in libsafe.
    >
    > 2.
    >
    > Libsafe *printf function wrappers incorrectly parse argument indexing in
    > format strings. They always assume that the n-th conversion specification
    > uses n-th argument and does not properly count real number of arguments
    > used. Thus, arguments, whose index numbers are above the total number of
    > conversion specifications, are not verified at all.

    I'd like to point out that the Immunix FormatGuard tool (which provides
    a similar protection against format string attacks as libsafe) is not
    vulnerable to these kinds of attacks because it explicitly uses glibc's
    parse_printf_format() to determine the number of arguments required for
    a given format string -- parse_printf_format() is the same function that
    glibc's *printf() functions use internally to parse arguments.

    --
    Steve Beattie                               Don't trust programmers?
    <steveat_private>                         Complete StackGuard distro at

    _______________________________________________ Immunix-announce mailing list Immunix-announceat_private http://mail.wirex.com/mailman/listinfo/immunix-announce _______________________________________________ Immunix-users mailing list Immunix-usersat_private http://mail.wirex.com/mailman/listinfo/immunix-users