RE: NMRC Advisory - KeyManager Issue in ISS RealSecure on Nokia A ppliances

From: Rouland, Chris (ISSAtlanta) (CRoulandat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 07:18:45 PST

    This is a known flaw in RealSecure Network Sensor 6.0 build 6.0.2001.141 for
    Nokia IPSO.  It was corrected early this year in build 6.0.2001.141d for
    IPSO.  This flaw is not remotely exploitable.  Root privileges are required
    to obtain public keys from the sensor to allow an initial console
    connection.  NMRC has not been able to confirm that they are able to exploit
    this flaw.

    ISS notified users of the 6.0 IPSO sensor in February, and this issue has
    been documented in our public knowledgebase since February 6, 2002.

    ---
    Knowledgebase Article
      February 6, 2002

    Improper Default Entry in iss.access file for RealSecure for Nokia 6.0

    HOW BIG IS THE RISK?

    An administrator could grant escalated privileges to a console, allowing key
    administrator rights without specifically granting that right
    An attacker would need root access to the appliance, or would need
    assistance from an established key administrator to exploit this
    vulnerability
    This only affects RealSecure for Nokia
    This is a low risk vulnerability

    WHAT IS THE VULNERABILITY?

    There is a pre-defined Key Administrator included in the iss.access file,
    starscream_skank, installed by default in RealSecure for Nokia 6.0. An
    attacker would need a RealSecure 6.0 Console, setup using the machine name
    of starscream and the user name of skank, to generate the correct public
    encryption keys. The attacker would then need root access to the Nokia
    Sensor, in order to transfer the public keys from the Console to the
    Sensor's /Keys directory, to allow the initial Console connection. The
    attacker could then copy files to the Sensor's /Keys directory, using the
    RealSecure Console. Since this vulnerability can only be used in conjunction
    with root access to the Sensor, it's threat level is assessed by Internet
    Security Systems as very low.
    WHAT SYSTEMS ARE AT RISK?

    Only Nokia IPSO systems, running RealSecure for Nokia 6.0, build
    6.0.2001.141
    No other RealSecure Sensors are affected

    RECOMMENDATIONS

    The work-around is to remove the Key Administrator designation,
    starscream_skank, from the list of Key Administrators for RealSecure for
    Nokia 6.0 Sensors which were installed using build 6.0.2001.141
    This build has been replaced with build 6.0.2001.141d, available for
    download here:
    https://www.iss.net/cgi-bin/download/customer/customer-select.cgi
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

    For additional information concerning this vulnerability, contact ISS
    Technical Support at, supportat_private or 888-447-4861

    COMMENTS:

    ISS received no notice of a security advisory from NMRC.  In responsible
    vulnerability disclosure, the vendor works with the researcher to confirm
    fix availability (since Feb 02 in this case), edit the advisory for
    technical content and typographic errors, and to confirm exploitation of the
    flaw (unconfirmed).  The only correspondence from NMRC follows (thread is,
    NMRC is looking for keys to 2 very old versions of RealSecure to find holes
    in it, and we are attempting to assist).  Our current shipping version of
    RealSecure is 6.5, so the legitimate value of researching RealSecure 3.0 and
    5.0 for flaws is questionable as well.