Re: memberlist.php of vBulletin

From: John Percival (johnnewsat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 06:07:24 PST

    > Vendor status: notified 3/18/2;  no response

    Correction:
    Our response was emailed 14 minutes after receiving initial notification:
    -------
    Thank you for reporting this, I have flagged this for discussion among the
    developers.

    Please let me know if you require any further assistance.

    All the best,
    Chris Schreiber
    Support Team, vBulletin

    http://www.vbulletin.com/
    mailto:supportat_private
    -------

    It was very kind of Plato to be responsible and let the community know what
    is happening, but in the interests of the community we would have been a lot
    better off letting us provide a fix first. I am quite disappointed in
    Plato's actions here, and the only reason that I have not replied sooner is
    that I felt  that I would be more reasonable if I waited and cooled off a
    little ;-)

    As of Saturday, we have finished an initial round of audits for these XSS
    issues and we are beginning more thorough checks. I would estimate a fix
    will be available some time Monday or Tuesday.

    > I believe the simplest fix would be to initialized letterbits($letterbits
    =
    > "";) at the top of memberlist.php.

    Yes that is correct.
    Add $letterbits = ''; right after the inital <?php

    Unfortunately a similar bug affects several other files too. We are trying
    to identify any remaining problems as quickly as possible.

    Regards,

    John Percival
    Product Manager, vBulletin
    Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

    http://www.vbulletin.com/
    mailto:johnat_private

    "vBulletin: Community Instantly"
    Online support: mailto:supportat_private