Re: Cross-site scripting.

From: zeno (bugtraqat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 05:34:21 PST

    > I have recently done a "CSS marathon" and found _allmost_ every page I tried
    > vulnerable within an half an hour. These include microsoft, altavista,
    > google, cnet, time, ebay, amazon, netscape, yahoo and redhat. This list
    > probably could have gone on forever if I had taken the time. I have
    > contacted every one of them about this (except for yahoo and ebay because I
    > was unable to find a contact emailaddress or feedback form; if it takes
    > longer to find the contact info than to find the CSS, f#ck 'em) I am now
    > awaiting their respondses.

    Ebay can be reached at clalondeat_private I had spoken with him in regards to a old
    css hole and he was very prompt in response once I actually found it. Dunno about yahoo
    on the otherhand.

    Time.com's security contact can be reached at Renee_Guttmannat_private I had found a hole
    that not only allowed CSS but also SSI tag insertion into the wevsite search engine.
    Of course its fixed now but it took over a month to get fixed. And yes command execution
    was possible. Try emailing lists like incidents and say "security contact for "website.com"?
    and you will usually get a quick response which was the case with time and me.

    > Feedback on the usefullness (or futility) of a "general CSS advisory" would
    > be appreciated.

    Well as it is generally known CSS holes can allow potential cookie theft. I guess on larger
    sites this may be more of an issue because people invest into them. Small sites you probably
    sould just email the admins (if you can find them) and if not contact there isp "hey I wanted to
    possibly speak with the admin of this site can you help me by giving me an email addy?". Originally
    when I contacted ebay it took over 3 months to get a response. Once I did the problem was fixed within
    a day. Depending on the sites general security it could perhaps open up some other issues.

    - zenoat_private

    PS: to the people's who email addies I gave out if your upset I did please let me know, after all
    giving them out is for your benifit.