JS embedding @ www.reed.co.uk

From: elaborate ruse (elaborateruse@trust-me.com)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 15:15:34 PST

     Title:		JS embedding @ www.reed.co.uk
     Date:		26.03.02
     Author:		elab (http://elaboration.8bit.co.uk)
     Problem:		Improper input validation during sign up process allows users to
     		embed JavaScript
     Vendor Status:	Contacted on:	17:00 GMT 14 March 02
     		Via:		http://www.reed.co.uk/contact.asp
    		Response:	Within 2 hours

    		JavaScript in to certain form fields during the sign up
    		process.

    		Once the registration process is complete viewing the user's
    		profile will download and execute the embedded JS.

     Solution:
     		The problem was fixed by the vendor within 5 working days of
     		it being reported.

    		Now when a user attempts to insert JavaScript in to the sign up
    		form they are be redirected to an error page.

     Vendor:
     		The vendor was contacted on 17:00 GMT 14 March 02 via an online
    		contact form and replied within 2 hours with a professional and
    		friendly response.

    		Official vendor response:

    		"We are happy to acknowledge the part elab played in alerting
    		us to an absence of validation on one of our site's forms.
    		Although this was never exploited, and has now been corrected
    		on the site, we are most grateful to elab for pointing it out".

     Credit:
     		Credit is given to the vendor for handling this issue in the
    		correct manner.

    http://www.MyOwnEmail.com