Firewall-1 Identification : port 257 (ie archive : 18701)

From: Sacha Faust (sachaat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 09:55:56 PST

    It's been known for a while that if you find a host with open TCP port
    256,257 and 258, you can be pretty sure it's a Firewall-1 box ( please refer
    to : http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/18701 ).

    I did some additional poking at the system and found out that if you connect
    to port 257 and you hit a few keys, the server will return fwa1 string.
    Here is the sequences that works for me:
    1. hit enter
    2. hit a few keys (2-3 is enough)
    3. hit enter

    the server will return the fwa1 string.

    Example (my input was enter+test+enter):
    [sacha@hole sacha]$ nc 1.1.1.1 257
            30000005
    test
    fwa1

    [sacha@hole sacha]$

    If you hit other sequences, you data but no fwa1 string. I didn't seen this
    feature mentioned. If this is already known, please ignore this post. This
    was discovered on a client system so I don't have all the details of the
    firewall config for now. All I know is it's a FW1 box. On what I have no
    idea.

    ---------
    Sacha Faust
    sachaat_private